Street Views of East Pune
The occupation of Pune by Englishmen ushered in the second major urban phase in the city. With the establishment of the military cantonment alongside the native city in 1817, a dual identity and image was forged. British Poona or Camp, as the Cantonment and Civil Lines area was called, was a well laid-out colonial landscape. Post-Independence, the Indian Army established the headquarters of the Southern Command here.
The Gothic architecture still visible in the older public buildings gives the area a very different ambience from the rest of the city. The much popular Mahatma Gandhi Road (M.G. Road), Main Street and East Street are bustling with presence of traders and shoppers alike! A cosmopolitan area, Camp has places of worship for every religion, with an Agyari and a Synagogue especially to be mentioned. Pune Commissioner’s office, General post office, District Collector’s office and Council Hall are a part of the scene in this area as well. Pune’s main railway station lies in this area and so does city’s central public hospital, Sassoon Hospital, keeping this area jostling with activity round the clock.
Bund Garden, Boat Club Road are quiet and greener parts in east Pune, lined with neat bungalows. Comparatively recently developed areas like Koregaon Park ,well-known for the Osho commune and the cosmopolitan Kalyani Nagar are buzzwords for modern urban population with trendy apartments, hang out places, sleek shopping malls and swanky offices all clubbed into one.